As soon as the temperature in the Netherlands drops, the Dutch start to dream of the prospect of being able to skate on the canals of Amsterdam. Even if the canals don’t freeze this year, there are plenty of places in Amsterdam to practice your skating skills during the Winter Festival Amsterdam.
About ice skating in Amsterdam
Although ice skating on the frozen canals of Amsterdam is a magical winter experience, it unfortunately does not occur every year. The temperature must remain well below 0 degrees for 4 consecutive days to make the ice thick enough to skate over it. When conditions look good, boat traffic from certain channels is blocked. Fingers crossed that this is happening this year.
However, every winter visit to Amsterdam includes a visit to a skating rink. The experience is unique and you have a choice of different ice rinks. Below you will find the best spots for ice skating in Amsterdam during the Winter Festival.
Ice skating on Museumplein (Rijksmuseum)
Are you ready for a winter experience at one of the best locations in the centre of Amsterdam? Ice*Amsterdam is located on the Museumplein just in front of the famous Rijksmuseum. This temporary ice rink is fully decorated in winter theme with Christmas trees, a winter market, special lights and even a replica of the Skinny Bridge in Amsterdam. If you are not into ice skating you should definitely go for some drinks or food. From 13 december till 26 December there is also a Christmas market at the Museumplein.
- Location: Museumplein Amsterdam
- Price: 2 hours skating including skate rental € 14.50
- Opening days and times: From 11 November 2023 to 4 February 2024
- Sunday till Thursday: 9 am – 11 pm
- Friday and Saturday: 9 am – 12 am
Ice Skating in Amsterdam RAI
You will get the ultimate winter experience when you visit the Winter Paradise in the Amsterdam RAI. It’s basically a winter theme park for young and old. There are many activities like ice skating, snow slides, apres-ski, ferris wheel, cinema, Dutch foods and drink, Christmas shopping and much more. It is definitely a unique winter experience.
- Location: RAI Amsterdam – Europaplein 24 – Amsterdam
- Price: All Day ticket € 24.50 | Kids (0-1) Free
- Opening days and times: From 14 December 2023 to 1 January 2024
- Opening times vary from day to day. Please see the Winter Paradise page for all opening hours.
Ice Skating on Rembrandtplein
Ice rink Rembrandtplein Amsterdam( Ijsbaan Amsterdam) is located at the famous square Rembrandtplein in the centre of Amsterdam. Together with Ice*Amsterdam this Ice rink is decorated in the winter theme.
- Location: Rembrandtplein – Amsterdam
- Price: Skating rink entrance € 2.50 | Skate hire € 5.00
- Opening days and times: From 18 November 2023 to 7 January 2024 | Open daily from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Ice Skating on the Jaap Eden Ice Rink
The most known ice rink in Amsterdam is the Jaap Eden Ice Rink. It’s very populair with locals and tourists. When the ice rink opened in 1961 it was the third ice rink in the world that had a 400-meter track. If you like ice skating you should definitely visit the Jaap Eden Ice Rink.
- Location: Radioweg 64 – 1098 NJ Amsterdam
- Price: Adult (>16) € 8,50 | Kids (4-15 years) € 5,10 | Kids (0-3 years) Free
- Rental: Skates can be rented from €7.00 per day
- Opening days and times: From 7 October 2023 to 23 March 2024