- This event has passed.
Sinterklaas Welcome Parade Amsterdam
November 19 @ 10:00 am – 1:20 pm
On Sunday 19 November 2023 Sinterklaas will arrive in Amsterdam. Sinterklaas (Saint Nicholas) is a truly Dutch tradition. It is the main character of the Sinterklaas feast that is celebrated in the Netherlands on 5 December. From 19 November to 5 December, Sinterklaas will be in Amsterdam and you may run into him or his helpers. There will also be traditional Sinterklaas candy in the shops.
Sinterklaas in Amsterdam
‘Sinterklaas’ (Saint Nicholas) is a typical Dutch character loved by children and adults. He is accompanied by his white horse and a team of helpers (Pieten). Their annual arrival and parade in Amsterdam in mid-November and the festivities leading up to Sinterklaas (poem & gift giving) on 5 December are a real happening.
Programme Sinterklaas parade Amsterdam 2023
On Sunday 19 November, Sinterklaas and his Pieten will arrive by boat. Sinterklaas will sail into Amsterdam on the boat according to the Water Route below. Again this year, some 300,000 – 350,000 visitors are expected to come on the water or along the route by road to welcome Sinterklaas.
Route Sinterklaas parade Amsterdam 2023
The parade consists of two parts: a water route where Sint enters Amsterdam and takes a tour of the city and a land route where Sint and the Pieten walk through the city accompanied by a grand procession. Check out the routes and corresponding times below.
Please note that times are guidelines and may vary slightly. It may therefore happen that Saint is a little earlier or later. Please take this into account when visiting the entry!
The parade will go via the Omval, Berlagebrug, Nieuwe Amstelbrug, Hogesluis, Amstelsluizen, Walter Suskindbrug and Scharrebiersluis towards Scheepvaartmuseum, where the Goedheigman will be received by Mayor Halsema and the children’s mayor.
- 10.20 | Omval (first observation)
- 10.35 | Berlage Bridge
- 10.45 | Nieuwe Amstelbrug
- 10.55 | High lock
- 11:10 | Amstel locks
- 11.20 | Walter Suskind Bridge
- 11.30 | Scharrebiersluis
- 11.45 | Arrival at the Scheepvaartmuseum (reception by Mayor Halsema and the children’s mayor)
After a short stop, St Nicholas will continue his tour, followed by a procession of musicians, floats and his Pieten. The route will start from Waterlooplein and will pass through the Blauwe Brug, Utrechtsestraat, Frederiksplein, Weteringcircuit, Leidseplein and end on the steps of the Stadsschouwburg with a speech by Sinterklaas!
- 13:35 | Start of land entry from Waterlooplein
- 13.40 | Blauwbrug – Amstelstraat – Rembrandtplein
- 13.46 hours | Caransahotel
- 13:50 | Utrechtsstraat-Herengracht Head
- 13.54:| Utrechtsestraat-Keizersgracht
- 13.58 | Utrechtsestraat-Prinsengracht
- 14.03 hours | Utrechtsestraat-Frederiksplein
- 14:06 | Frederiksplein-Weteringcircuit
- 14.23 hours | Weteringcircuit – Spiegelgracht
- 14.34 hours | Spiegelgracht – Max Euweplein
- 14.39 hours | Leidseplein arrival procession
- 15:10 | Leidseplein – arrival Sint
- 15.20 | Programme Leidseplein during presence of Sint
- 15.35 hours | Speech Saint on the steps of Stadsschouwburg theatre
- 15.38 hours | End of programme (Dag Sinterklaasje)
Sinterklaas is a truly Dutch festival that has been celebrated for a very long time. There are many traditions that belong to Sinterklaas. Children may put their shoe by the chimney and put an apple or a carrot in it for Sinterklaas’ horse. The next morning, there is a present in the shoe.
Children’s songs belong to the Sinterklaas celebration. There are many of them. On St. Nicholas Eve (5 December), families sing together in order to get St. Nicholas to come to their house to give presents.
Sweets are also part of the party. There are special sweets such as kruidnootjes (ginger nuts), pepernoten and marseplein. Chocolate letters are also popular to give. Sweets are also part of the party. There are special sweets such as ginger nuts and pepernoten. Chocolate letters are also popular to give.
- Winter Card Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Light Festival
- Ice Skating in Amsterdam
- Christmas Shopping in Amsterdam
- Museums in Amsterdam
- Attractions in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam